Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Hazel Elisabeth's birth story

I was really hoping that this time would be different and that I would get the all natural birth I greatly desired. I wanted so badly to do it without drugs, without medical interventions, without the looming risk of oxytocin and postpartum hemorrhage.  But alas that is not the way it went and that's okay.

On Tuesday, April 12th I had to go into Jim Pattison for fetal monitoring. I was "post date" at 41 weeks pregnant and since it is procedure to do the monitoring and the ultrasound I didn't think much of it. Cam had the day off which worked out great because I would not have taken well to the news that I needed induction immediately without him. I had the monitoring and all was fine, bean was doing great so we thought we'd be going home in no time. Then came the ultrasound, I went in the room alone and after a few minutes that ultrasound technician said "looks like you're having a baby today!" and left the room. I was shaking, confused and upset that she would say such a thing. She returned to me with an envelope and told me to head back upstairs. I was freaking out, Cam was keeping it together for the both of us. We went upstairs and were told that I needed to go to the hospital right away, that I wasn't to go home, I had low fluid and since I was post dates I needed to get induced that day or risk my placenta failing.

Once we had called everyone we needed to call to arrange plans for Edison and to get our bags to the hospital. We headed over to Surrey Memorial, I was in triage for HOURS waiting for a room, the OB explained that I would be getting induced but that I first needed an oxytocin challenge to ensure my baby would take the induction well. If I failed the oxytocin test I would be getting a c-section that night. I was so emotional with it all that I was having a hard time talking myself through my anxiety. Thank goodness for Cam, my amazing doula Heidi and the fantastic nurse I got who made the process less intimidating. I got my room, and then the challenge started and baby bean passed! The OB came in, inserted my cervidil and insisted that I get some sleep after my hour of additional monitoring. Seriously, get some sleep? Yah right! I managed about two and a half hours of sleep before contractions woke me up at 6am.

My contractions started out light and steadily increased in intensity as long as I was moving around. The minute that I sat down my contractions stopped but I was so exhausted from everything the night before that I was just getting more and more exhausted by all the walking. I walked all around the new area of Surrey hospital, the stair case and my room. I dealt with the increased intensity by using the TENS pads (if you labour you seriously MUST use this fantastic machine!) which made me very happy. I wanted nothing to do with the shower and longed for a giant bathtub. After 12 hours and only a 3cm progress I was done and needed desperately to rest. I was worried about transition, pushing and a possible c-section if I couldn't progress enough. I knew I was running out of time and that medical intervention was looming. So I asked my OB for a game plan, for an epidural and oxytocin to try and progress that way so I could rest. She agreed, along with my midwife and nurse. We had a plan and I although I was happy to see progress I was terrified of a hemorrhage and the oxytocin drip. I was so sad that I couldn't have the birth I wanted, I was exhausted and emotional and anxious. The tears started flowing and I cried throughout my epidural process, I cried and cried.

Heidi helped me lay down and I swear I felt my waters break, the nurse checked me and insisted that my waters didn't break. Quickly after I started to experience episodes of pressure with every contraction. I obviously didn't feel pain but the pressure was incredibly uncomfortable and after a hour and a half my body took over and started pushing without me doing anything about it. I started saying "I'm pushing I'm pushing!!" my nurse ran to get my midwife and she checked me with a shocked look saying "yep, you're 10." They quickly got the bed ready (taking off the end of the bed) and my midwife said "we're not doing this until we're all here." My room filled with nurses from the nurses station and I was encouraged to keep pushing. So I pushed with all my might, my eyes closed and with A LOT of screaming. Hazel came out in ten minutes, blue and stunned. With a couple of swats on the feet she started to cry and Cam told me she was a girl! I started to cry, smile and couldn't believe how quickly she came after my epidural.

I got my epidural at 7pm, she was born at 8:58pm. She was 8lbs 8oz and 51 centimeters long.

I am so so thankful that she came healthy and happy, that I was supported throughout my labour and delivery, that I didn't hemorrhage at all. Our hospital stay was long (Tuesday to Saturday) but we came home to our boys and have been a happy family of four! We're all adjusting well, doing our best and enjoying every moment with our little Hazel girl.

Thank you everyone for the love, support and food being sent our way. It's all been much appreciated,
N.


1 comment:

momawall said...

You did it. and in the long run those hours of worry won't be remembered Congrats. She's beautiful.